If you don’t get a confirmation email, check your SPAM folder.
Our new system goes online Monday, October 3, 2016.
APPLE VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL
JANUARY 23, 2017
- Attention All Student Mentor Program Applicants: If you applied for the Mentor Program for 2017-2018 or plan to be in Field Experience next year, please stop by the Main Office today to pick up your letter. This will help you plan for next year's registration. Be sure to come in before school, during the day, or after school to get this letter. Thank you to all who applied and special congratulations to all new members of the Program!
- We will operate on Schedule F (final exam schedule) on February 2 & 3 in order to provide all junior students the opportunity to take an ACT Practice Test in their core classes. It is a regular school day for grades 9-10-12, but all students will follow the final exam schedule on both dates.
Thursday, Feb. 2 - Hours 1, 3, 5, 7
Friday, Feb. 3 - Hours 2, 4, 5, 6
- Dear AVHS Juniors and Families,
AVHS partner Genesys Works provides a paid corporate internship where grade 12 students work for 12 months at one of the top companies in the Twin Cities like Target Corporation, Medtronic, Uponor or Thomson Reuters all while earning $10,000 their senior year!
With Genesys Works, students can change their lives in one summer!
Juniors may apply now for this opportunity to gain real-world skills like public speaking, Microsoft Office, business technology, and more – all while having fun! Genesys also provides college and career support through college access programming in which 100% of students are guaranteed acceptance to college!
AVHS will hold an informational meeting about Genesys Works internships on Feb. 7 starting at 9:20 am in the theatre. Please sign up here to attend that
meeting - http://bit.ly/2izsyCK.
ARTS, ACTIVITIES AND CLUBS
- "The January Dine Out for Band will be at the Apple Valley Perkins on Friday, January 27 6 a.m. to midnight. A paper flyer is required - no pictures or electronic copies will be accepted, so please include a link to the attachment for people to print and indicate that a paper flyer is required."
- FCA invites everyone to join us on Monday, Feb 6 from 7:30-9:30pm to pack meals for Feed My Starving Children. Special mobile site is in the former Rainbow Foods building on Cedar Ave. See Mrs. Kuhn, Mrs. Christensen or Mrs. Moynihan to get signed up. Or, Register here: http://volunteer.fmsc.org/Register/Group/JoinGroup.aspx?gid=1053573 and put in code 1053573 to join the AVHS FCA packing team. This counts toward volunteer hours while you have fun packing with your friends!
- The Counseling office is looking for student ambassadors who are interested in showing new students around our building. If you are interested, please stop by the Counseling Office and add your name to our list. We would really appreciate your help!
- Yearbook grad ads are on sale now. Go to http://www.jostens.com/apps/shop/yrbk_ra_flash.asp?CID=144929&PFID=2016051104171889380 to create and order your ad. Cost is $40 for a 1/8 page ad. Orders are due by 1/27/17.
- You can now order your yearbook. Visit the Jostens web site to order your 2016-2017 yearbook. Click HERE to order now.
- Any girls interested in playing golf this spring should attend a meeting on Tuesday, January 24th at 2:30 in room 224. If you cannot attend see Mr. Christiansen in room 224.
- All current and potential volleyball players come to a brief strength training meeting on Thursday, February 2nd after school in Ms. LaChapelle’s room 117.
- Boys Basketball: http://www.district196.org/avhs/downloads/EagleUpdateJanuary17.pdf
- Please come join the Apple Valley Lacrosse family for a Social on Saturday, February 11th (2pm to 5pm) at Panino Brothers in Apple Valley. This will be the team's big fundraiser for the year! Tickets are $10.00 each.
If you like to come to event (or just want to be entered in the raffle) and you need a ticket (or two!), please contact: Vicki Kotsonas at email@example.com
- All students (9-12) attending athletic events in District 196 need to bring their current student ID’s with them.
- ATTN JUNIORS AND SENIORS!!!
Dakota Electric Association is offering area students a chance to win an all-expense paid trip to Washington, D.C. from June 10-15. Students who are currently enrolled as juniors or seniors and the primary residence is in Dakota Electric’s territory are eligible to apply.
Students must submit an application along with his/her photograph and a letter of recommendation from a teacher, coach or youth organization leader. Please also provide a separate sheet with their typewritten or legible handwritten answer to the questions on the applications.
Applications are available in the Counseling Office.
NEWS FROM THE CAREER CENTER
UPCOMING COLLEGE VISITS TO THE CAREER CENTER:
Enterprise Education Foundation
Scholarship Program Due: February 1, 2017
the WomEn’s conference Due: February 3, 2017
Dakota County Regional Chamber
of Commerce Charitable Foundation
Hy-Vee Foundation Scholarship Program Due: February 20, 2017
Valley Athletic Assoc. Due: March 30, 2017
Minnesota School of Cosmetology
Directors Scholarship Due: March 31, 2017
Aspiring Animation Professional Scholarship Due: June 1, 2017
Aspiring Business Professional Scholarship Due: June 1, 2017
Aspiring Fashion Professional Scholarship Due: June 1, 2017
ATTN: JUINOR GIRLS
There are two college scholarships available for you! Yes, already! They are:
Distinguished Young Women Due: January 31, 2017
Minnesota Association of Townships Due: May 1, 2017
Looking for a part-time job? Look no further than the “Job Posting” window in the College and Career Center (Room 133)
- Senior Parents:
Ticket prices for the All-Night Senior Party are $80 until January 31st. Ticket prices increase to $100 effective February 1st. There is still time to be included in the free parking pass drawing for 3rd trimester. You can find the ticket order form attached to this email.
Don't forget that the Senior Party Committee is collecting boxers as prizes for the "Bowling for Boxers" game during the All-Night Party. We are in need of boxers sized M, L, XL.
Attention Class of 2017 Parents and Guardians
Click on this link for important information on the Class of 2017 Senior Party!
- Hello Class of 2017 Seniors and Parents! We are busy planning for the Class of 2017 Senior Party! This all-night party takes place on June 3rd after Graduation at Brunswick Zone in Lakeville and at AVHS, and includes food, games, prizes, and lots of great entertainment like casino games, sumo wrestling, and more! The entire event is parent volunteer run, and cannot happen without you! A HUGE THANK YOU goes out to those who have already signed up to help. We have filled all of our Committee Chair positions! But we still have a lot more needed! Here's how you can help:
1) SIGN UP TO JOIN ONE OF THE PLANNING COMMITTEES:
Committee sign up: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0f49a4a729a3f58-avhs
2) SIGN UP TO HELP AT THE PARTY:
Party sign up: www.SignUpGenius.com/go/10C0F49A4A729A3F58-avhs1
3) BUY YOUR SENIOR'S SENIOR PARTY TICKET:
Hurry! The ticket price goes up the longer you wait! There is a reduced cost option for families who are a part of the reduced or free lunch program. Check out the website where there is a PayPal link, as well as a link to the registration form if you would prefer to pay by cash or check. sites.google.com/site/avhsseniorparty/home
4) DONATIONS, DONATIONS, DONATIONS!:
We need donations of all kinds: cash, prizes, and BOXERS! The Class of 2012 started the fun tradition of "Bowling for Boxers", where the kids can win a pair of boxers as a prize for getting a strike! We need donations of new boxers in all shapes, sizes and colors! Please contact us if you have donations of any kind, or there is a collection bin for boxers in the AVHS Office as well!
Please contact Mary Berg firstname.lastname@example.org or Joanna Perkins email@example.com if you have any questions or would like to volunteer! And follow us on Twitter @AVHSSeniorParty. Also, please let us know if any parents work for Flint Hills Resources (they offer a donation to senior parties for their employees' kids). The remaining meetings are:
(all Sundays at 6pm) 1/22: AVHS Room 188, 2/26: Brunswick Zone, 3/19 Brunswick Zone, 4/23 Brunswick Zone, 5/21 Brunswick Zone. We hope to see you there! All are welcome!
- AVHS COLLECTS~
(as of September 2016)
STUDENTS HELPING STUDENTS
AVHS collects the following items to provide more opportunities for all students.
Just place the items in the bins in the main office (across from the mailboxes).
Box Tops for Education – found on General Mills products
Labels for Education - found on many products including Campbell’s soup, Post, Bic, etc. this program is being discontinued, but we can still collect until the end of the school year.
Milk Moola Milk caps - found on Kwik Trip milk cartons
Printer Cartridges (No longer collecting!!!!!)
Pop Tops from the can – for the Ronald McDonald house
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!!
LOST AND FOUND
Main Office: Keys, Jewelry, Watches, Purses, Wallets, Glasses, Cell Phones, Calculators, Etc.
Attendance Office: Coats, Hats, Shoes, Bags, Etc.