If you don’t get a confirmation email, check your SPAM folder.
APPLE VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL
FEBRUARY 24, 2017
- If your student is in an AP Class it is now time to register for the AP exam!
All registrations must take place by March 9.
Go to the Apple Valley High School homepage at the bottom of the main page on the left in a list of options. Click on SchoolView/Fee Pay and then click on Login to School View/FeePay. (School View/Fee Pay is NOT the parent portal where you would view grades. School View/ FeePay is a separate electronic system to pay for activities.)
Registration is open and ends on March 9, 2017. You will NOT be able to register after March 9.
Cost: The cost per test is $76.00 per exam. The College Board charges $93.00 per exam. (Meanwhile, the State of Minnesota is reimbursing school districts at a rate of $40 per test. Additional expenses associated with administrating the +700 AP tests include proctors¹ fees, seating and table rentals, and training, etc. are included. Only the tests listed on Fee Pay are offered by Apple Valley. Other AP exams are not given at Apple Valley.
When you process your transaction you should see a confirmation number/receipt you can print. (On the site, not via email). The teacher will also receive an electronic list of students that have registered every few days.
In the event that you do not take the test(s) that you ordered and paid for, it is understood that you will not be reimbursed for the loss of money as neither EHS nor the AP program provide refunds.
Questions? Contact: Mr. Buesgens
ARTS, ACTIVITIES AND CLUBS
- HIGH SCHOOL RUGBY:
Practice for boys (Varsity/JV) and girls high school rugby starts soon. Registration is open at the link below. No experience is necessary! Those wanting to see what rugby is about are welcome to attend a training session before registering. Boys practice begins on February 26th (5PM-Scott Highlands Middle School) and girls begin on March 5th (1PM – Scott Highlands Middle School).
There is a place in rugby for all sizes and shapes. Everybody carries the ball. Everybody tackles. No experience is necessary! For football players, rugby is a great spring sport to prepare for fall for safe tackling, agility and conditioning. Visit www.eaasports.org/rugby to learn more and register. Contact Eric Curtin, Director of Rugby email@example.com questions.
- TREE TRUST SUMMER YOUTH EMPLOYMENT PROGRAM is back. Work an average of 20 hours a week while earning minimum wage this summer. Get more information and see if you qualify. Go to TreeTrust.org
The on-line application deadline is: MARCH 15TH.
- Broadway 2017: Planes, Trains and Automobiles
For all of the marvelous advancements in human transportation technology over the years, the reality is that it still takes time to get from point A to point B. So we turn on our radios or take out our headphones and we rely on the wonders of music to help us better enjoy the journey home (or wherever else we may be going).
Broadway 2017: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is a celebration of that journey and of all the different ways that we travel. Come take a trip with us as over 100 of AVHS's finest dancers, instrumentalists, singers, and theatre technicians bring you the music of Michael Jackson, Joe Cocker, Frank Sinatra, Gladys Knight, The O'Jays, James Taylor, Ray Charles, and so, so many more!
February 24, 25 and March 3, 4 at 7:00pm
February 26 and March 5 at 2:00pm
Tickets are available at www.seatyourself.biz/avhs. Buy them early and buy them often!
- AVHS Spring Trimester Parking can be purchased beginning March 4th on SchoolView/FeePay website.
Once parents/guardians complete the purchasing process on-line, your child can then pick up the spring parking pass the next school day in the AVHS Main Office.
A link to SchoolView/FeePay can be found on the AVHS website page www.district196.org/avhs on the left side under “Resources”.
Reminder: Students need to pay all outstanding fines/fees before they will be allowed to pick up a parking tag for our spring trimester. Students can check their fines/fees obligations in the Main Office at any time.
If you drive occasionally, you can park in the main lot for $3.00 a day. Register your car and pay in the Main Office first thing in the morning.
- Need to earn service hours for your club or activity? Sign-up sheets to usher for Broadway 2017– Planes, Trains and Automobiles are now posted on the bulletin board outside the box office. The show runs from February 24 – March 5 on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Friday and Saturday shows are at 7 pm and Sunday shows are at 2 pm.
Men need to wear white shirts and dark slacks and women need to wear white shirts and dark slacks or skirts. Students who sign up MUST arrive 45 minutes prior to the show start-time and stay through intermission to receive service hours.
- Join interact in donating blankets to the homeless! Drive runs Wednesday, February 8th to Tuesday, February 28th. Dropbox is by the Counseling Office.
- The Counseling office is looking for student ambassadors who are interested in showing new students around our building. If you are interested, please stop by the Counseling Office and add your name to our list. We would really appreciate your help!
- You can now order your yearbook. Visit the Jostens web site to order your 2016-2017 yearbook. Click HERE to order now.
- The Apple Valley High School Band Boosters will be having a Fundraiser Night at Davanni’s on Monday, February 27th from 4:00 pm-8:00 pm. Print a ticket and bring it in with you when ordering. 20% of your total order will be donated to the group. http://www.district196.org/avhs/downloads/DavannisFlyerBand.pdf
- Girls Track and Field: Want to have a great time working out with your friends? Then join girls track and field. Sign up now, there is an event for everyone and new comers are welcome. See Mr. Dirth or the track captains for more information.
- Girls Basketball:http://www.district196.org/avhs/downloads/AVGirlsUpdateFeb21.pdf
- Please help support the Apple Valley Softball Team when you eat at Buffalo Wild Wings in Apple now through March 31st. Just need to let your server know you are supporting Team N or present this card.
- SPRING SPORTS REGISTRATION BEGINS FEBRUARY 13, 2017
FIRST DAY OF PRACTICE: In order to participate on Day #1, you must be registered.
Baseball begins March 20
Boys Golf begins March 20
Girls Golf begins March 20
Boys Lacrosse begins April 3
Girls Lacrosse begins April 3
Boys Tennis begins March 27
Girls Fast-Pitch Softball begins March 13
Boys Track & Field begins March 13
Girls Track & Field begins March 13
Remember your sports physical needs to be “valid” through the state tournament of the sport for which you are registering or the SchoolView FeePay system won’t let you progress to complete registration. (The MN High School League considers sports physicals “valid” for three years from the date seen.) MSHSL Sports Physical Forms can be found under the Athletics heading at the link: http://www.district196.org/avhs/index.cfm?a=forms
WHERE TO REGISTER
Registration is online through the Schoolview FeePay system. You can link to the site from the home page of our website or go to:
- American Legion Auxiliary Minnesota Girls State 2017is now open for the summer session, which runs June 11th to June 17th, 2017.
ALA Minnesota Girls State is a program in government and good citizenship for young women sponsored by the Minnesota American Legion Auxiliary.
For any students interested in Minnesota Girls State, please pick up an application in the Guidance Office. All applications are due no later than April 15th 2017.
- Attention juniors and seniors: Applications are now available in the Counseling Office for the Dakota Electric Youth Tour. By applying you may win a 6 day all-expense paid trip to Washington D.C this summer. Pick up your application today.
NEWS FROM THE CAREER CENTER
UPCOMING COLLEGE VISITS TO THE CAREER CENTER:
- The Apple Valley High School Common Scholarship is now available online and in the Counseling Office. This is your opportunity to win scholarship money for college. The applications are due March 1st.
Valley Athletic Assoc. Due: March 30, 2017
Minnesota School of Cosmetology
Directors Scholarship Due: March 31, 2017
Aspiring Animation Professional Scholarship Due: June 1, 2017
Aspiring Business Professional Scholarship Due: June 1, 2017
Aspiring Fashion Professional Scholarship Due: June 1, 2017
ATTN: JUINOR GIRLS
There is one college scholarship available for you!
Minnesota Association of Townships Due: May 1, 2017
Looking for a part-time job? Look no further than the “Job Posting” window in the College and Career Center (Room 133).
- Senior Parents:
Don't forget that the Senior Party Committee is collecting boxers as prizes for the "Bowling for Boxers" game during the All-Night Party. We are in need of boxers sized M, L, XL.
Attention Class of 2017 Parents and Guardians
Click on this link for important information on the Class of 2017 Senior Party!
- Hello Class of 2017 Seniors and Parents! We are busy planning for the Class of 2017 Senior Party! This all-night party takes place on June 3rd after Graduation at Brunswick Zone in Lakeville and at AVHS, and includes food, games, prizes, and lots of great entertainment like casino games, sumo wrestling, and more! The entire event is parent volunteer run, and cannot happen without you! A HUGE THANK YOU goes out to those who have already signed up to help. We have filled all of our Committee Chair positions! But we still have a lot more needed! Here's how you can help:
1) SIGN UP TO JOIN ONE OF THE PLANNING COMMITTEES:
Committee sign up: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0f49a4a729a3f58-avhs
2) SIGN UP TO HELP AT THE PARTY:
Party sign up: www.SignUpGenius.com/go/10C0F49A4A729A3F58-avhs1
3) BUY YOUR SENIOR'S SENIOR PARTY TICKET:
Hurry! The ticket price goes up the longer you wait! There is a reduced cost option for families who are a part of the reduced or free lunch program. Check out the website where there is a PayPal link, as well as a link to the registration form if you would prefer to pay by cash or check. sites.google.com/site/avhsseniorparty/home
4) DONATIONS, DONATIONS, DONATIONS!:
We need donations of all kinds: cash, prizes, and BOXERS! The Class of 2012 started the fun tradition of "Bowling for Boxers", where the kids can win a pair of boxers as a prize for getting a strike! We need donations of new boxers in all shapes, sizes and colors! Please contact us if you have donations of any kind, or there is a collection bin for boxers in the AVHS Office as well!
Please contact Mary Berg firstname.lastname@example.org or Joanna Perkins email@example.com if you have any questions or would like to volunteer! And follow us on Twitter @AVHSSeniorParty. Also, please let us know if any parents work for Flint Hills Resources (they offer a donation to senior parties for their employees' kids). The remaining meetings are:
(all Sundays at 6pm) 2/26: Brunswick Zone, 3/19 Brunswick Zone, 4/23 Brunswick Zone, 5/21 Brunswick Zone. We hope to see you there! All are welcome!
- Prepare for College Scholarships: Middle School High Achieving Students
(for parents of students in grades 6-9)
Understand how to position your high achieving child to be competitive in receiving large academic scholarships. Discover the essentials on students' resumes, use of "The Notebook" in tracking child's high school career and tips on securing college scholarships. Learn the importance of scholarships in the following: electives, activities, volunteer work, grades, ACT/SAT scores and more. Understand the answer to the question, "Does it really matter where my child attends college?" Approved for 1.5 CEUs. Taught by Denise Metzger, a teacher in District 196. She has presented at conferences and has guided her two high achieving children in obtaining academic scholarships covering all four years of college tuition.
- AVHS COLLECTS~
(as of September 2016)
STUDENTS HELPING STUDENTS
AVHS collects the following items to provide more opportunities for all students.
Just place the items in the bins in the main office (across from the mailboxes).
Box Tops for Education – found on General Mills products
Labels for Education - found on many products including Campbell’s soup, Post, Bic, etc. this program is being discontinued, but we can still collect until the end of the school year.
Milk Moola Milk caps - found on Kwik Trip milk cartons
Printer Cartridges (No longer collecting!!!!!)
Pop Tops from the can – for the Ronald McDonald house
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!!
LOST AND FOUND
Main Office: Keys, Jewelry, Watches, Purses, Wallets, Glasses, Cell Phones, Calculators, Etc.
Attendance Office: Coats, Hats, Shoes, Bags, Etc.